Labor reform bills passed in india opposition boycotts
Abstract : Three Major reform labour laws, i.e. the code on Occupational Safety, Health and working conditions, the Industrial Relations Code and the Social Security Code have been passed Lok Sabha on Wednesday, as govt wants to integrate 44 Labour Acts into 4 Codes to improve ease of doing business by simplifying these laws. All the codes have been passed parliament on wednesday. These will be now notified after approval of President.
The Govt states that these Bills will attract investors for major investment as the laws & compliance requirements become
limited & easier. But at the same time these new laws will be able to prevent
occupational safety & social security rights of employees.
Highlights of the Laws
The Code of Occupational Safety, Health & Working
Condition Code 2020 will regulate the establishments run with 10 or more
workers in any day of the preceding 12 months. It will amalgamate the following
13 nos Labour laws relating to Safety, Health & Welfare.
1) The Factories Act 1948
2) The Mines Act 1952
3) The Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act 1996
4) The Dock Workers (Safety, Health and Welfare) Act 1986
5) The Plantations Labour Act 1951
6) The Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act 1970
7) The Inter-State Migrant workmen (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act 1979
8) The Working Journalists and other Newspaper Employees (Conditions of Service and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1955
9) The Working Journalists (Fixation of Rates of Wages) Act 1958
10) The Motor Transport Workers Act 1961
11) The Beedi and Cigar Workers (Conditions of Employment) Act 1966
12) The Sales Promotion Employees (Condition of Service) Act 1976
13) The Cine Workers and Cinema Theatre Workers Act 1981
The Industrial Relations Code 2020 :
The Industrial Relation Code 2020 will provide a broader framework to protect rights of workers for forming Union, for reducing friction between employees & employer and to facilitate provisions of investigation and settlement of industrial disputes.
This code will integrate 3 nos of Acts exist for the same purpose, i.e.
1) The Trade Union Act 1926
2) Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act 1946
3) Industrial Dispute Act 1946
The Social Security Code 2020 will bring Unorganised Sector workers and Platform workers under the ambit of Social Security Schemes, including life insurance and disability insurance, health and maternity benefits, provident fund and skill upgradation etc. The Social Security Code 2020 will simplify social security schemes by integrating 9 nos Central labour enactments relating to social security.
1) The Employees Compensation Act 1923
2) The Employees State Insurance Act 1948
3) The Employees Provident Funds and Miscllaneous Provisions Act 1952
4) The Employment Exchanges (Compulsory Notification of Vacancies) Act 1959
5) The Maternity Benefit Act 1961
6) The Payment of Gratuity Act 1972
7) The Cine Workers Welfare Fund Atc 1981
8) The Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Cess Act 1996
9) Unorganised Workers’ Social Security Act 2008